Saturday, May 30, 2009

more porch makeover





Farmboy has been working hard and this section of the roof is getting new shingles. What a huge job! There are 4 layers of shingles on the roof, 2 layers of cedar shakes and 2 layers of asphalt shingles. Farmboy said that getting them off is difficult- the nails on the last layer are 3 inches long!
Along with doing the roof, Farmboy has gotten the garden going, kept the grass mowed, and watered (he won't let me cut the grass, I did offer) and helps me with my various "projects."

I have wanted to plant a flowering vine to grow up the old chicken coop, and thought this old support from the old back porch would work great. The clematis seems to love it, It has grown about a foot in the last few weeks. I think the post looks really cute!

I have been cleaning up around the old grainery. (sp?) I planted hollyhocks and sunflowers next to the wall, and am hanging up all the old tools I find on the walls also. I also used the other porch support on the grainery for a honeysuckle vine. (The grainery is the building in the background of the garden pictures in a previous post)Eventually I want to clean it all out and make it into a potting shed. I figure we have all these old buildings, we may as well use them! When it is all in bloom I will post another picture!

No comments: